Friday 25 September 2015

Magazine The Making of a Magazine Cover

The Stages of Making a Magazine Cover Using Photoshop -
The  image used to make the magazine cover was taken using a Canon EOS 450D with the setting on fully manual I then edited it using Photoshop CC 2014. The specific settings are as follows allowing for the fact that the image was taken in a studio using flash lights:
F-Stop : 16
ISO : 200 to 400
Shutter Speed : 1/125


This image is the base ,or as photoshop calls it the background layer, and this is what I used to form the basis of my magazine.

Secondly, using the 'Horizontal Type Tool'  I inserted a text box where the masthead would go and typed my desired title. Using the 'Toggle the Character and Paragraph Panels' tool I adjusted the height of my text making it appear more like a masthead of a magazine. However, the text was over the person in my image and I wanted to fix this.

To place the masthead behind my cover girl I had to use some specific photoshop tools. I began by using the 'Quick Selection Tool' to select my model, I then went up to the top bar and clicked 'Select' and chose 'Inverse'. Then I went down to the bottom left colour selection panel and chose black. The next step involved selecting the 'Brush Tool' to paint the black over the section of the masthead which I wanted to be behind the image.

Afterwards, I inserted a selling line/ strap line underneath the title. I did this by using the 'Horizontal Type Tool' and making two text boxes, one either side of my models head, so that the image would not become obscured. 

Next it came to adding the PUG in the left third. The PUG includes the barcode, price and issue number above the barcode. The text was inserted again using the 'Horizontal Type Tool' whilst the I simply dragged the barcode ,as it's own layer, over the background layer image. 

Finally I added my only cover line by again simply using the 'Horizontal Type Tool'. However, I did use two text boxes so that I could change the composition of the writing rather than having just one long line of text. This is my finished music magazine cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment